Monday, August 9, 2010

Chapel Hill, NC

8.8.2010

We rode about 70 miles today through more North Carolina countryside. There was one point where we were riding through some fog, which made for a really pretty scene with the forest on both sides of the road. Starting when I woke up this morning I decided to attempt a challenge where I would remain silent for the whole day. That lasted until about mile 10, when I involuntarily called out the signal “Standing” on the way up a hill. It was completely involuntary, but I’d been used to doing it every time I’ve stood up on the bike this summer. It’s kinda funny how the mind works, I feel like one of Pavlov’s dogs.

When we finished up the ride, we arrived at a local Pizza Hut for lunch and a friendship visit. We helped out with a car wash being held to benefit The ARC, an assisted living center and camp for people with disabilities. I got to stand on the corner by a red light holding a sign and heckling people to come get their cars washed. I felt like I was back on Ho Plaza handing out quarter cards, except now if someone wanted to ignore you and walk by they would be breaking traffic laws. I was able to guilt about 16 bucks out of various drivers, in addition to the ones I convinced to go to the car wash. It was a lot of fun

Tonight we’re going to hang out at the Kappa chapter of Pi Kappa Phi here at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. It’ll be cool to meet some guys from Sandberg’s chapter.







No comments:

Post a Comment